I’ve compiled a list of the top 10 reasons why you should lift weight and go to the gym. This is a list from my perspective based on what I’ve done. It’s written from a male’s perspective but that doesn’t mean that women can’t learn anything from it. If you ask most people what exercises you should do to lose weight and get in shape they’d tell you to buy some running shoes and hit the pavement. This is wrong. Don’t get me wrong, aerobic exercise has it’s place as a tool in weight loss. But it must be used sparingly. I’ve trained for a few half-marathons in my day so I know the toll it can take on your body. Using cardio at the right time can be beneficial and complementary to a well thought out weight training plan. There are many more reasons you should lift weight that I don’t have on the list. There’s a social component to lifting weight if you have a gym partner and not to mention the fact that it helps with anger management. So read on and see how many you can benefit from. You can email me at email@example.com if you want to let me know what’s on your list or need clarification on one of the items on mine.
10 Reasons Why Men Should Lift Weights.
- Increases your work capacity- Over time you will be able to lift more weight in a shorter amount of time (progressive overload). This stimulates muscle growth. An added benefit is that it improves your ability to perform your regular daily activities.
- Strengthens your bones- Weight training not only builds muscle, it also makes your bones stronger. Your whole body works together to get itself stronger. It understands that having huge muscles will do you no good if they are attached to brittle bones.
- It improves your sex life- You’ll be more confident and perform better in the bedroom. Lifting weights also improves cardiovascular health. As a result you’ll have harder erections that will last longer. This tip should have probably been number one.
- It will make you happier- With your improved confidence, you’ll walk around with a big smile on your face. It will lower your anxiety and fight off depression. Your self-esteem will be through the roof…and that’s enough to get anybody in the gym.
- You’ll look better in your clothes- Adding muscle will give your clothes a better framework to work with. A tight shirt around the chest and arms is better than one tight around the belly.
- You’ll burn more calories…all the time- Muscles burn calories…all the time. The more muscle you have, the higher your RMR (resting metabolic rate). This will help you burn more calories even when you’re sitting on the couch.
- Reduces your risk of a heart attack- Lifting weights is an excellent form of cardiovascular exercise. It also helps you burn fat. These two things will improve your heart and make it stronger.
- Improves your balance- Like I stated in #2, your body works together when it gets stronger. Squatting, benching and deadlifting not only strengthen large muscles, they also strengthen small motor units along with ligaments and tendons. This improves your balance and helps prevent injury outside the gym.
- You’ll sleep better- All the work you do in the gym requires just as much work between the sheets. Yes, I mean sleep. You will sleep better and more soundly while your body repairs all the damage you’ve done in the gym (trust me, this is a good thing).
- It increases your testosterone level- Testosterone is the essence of strength. Strength training boosts your body’s testosterone levels due to its importance in hypertrophy (muscle building). As you age, test levels go down. Lifting weight is a great way to fight this problem.